The Misconception of Graduating

Most student’s thought process:

I am currently a senior getting ready to graduate. I think I needed to have my life figured out by the time I graduate. But now here I am not knowing which path to go. I need to have a full time position lined up for after May! Right?…….. Wrong!

The correct thought process

I know I am not alone in this. This is a very common thought most college students and most seniors experience.  But I have realized that this is the wrong way of thinking. You did not fail at life if you do not already have a job lined up. Don’t stress!  You’re not alone and you will find a job. After talking to advisers, professors, friends, family, and some mentors I have figured out a few steps to follow in order to land a job; and the deadline of May (by graduation) is not one of them!

1. Step away from UConn but keep the family

Fellow seniors, and other undergrads: don’t be scared to step away from UConn. We all love UConn and the years we’ve spent and shared here! But it’s our time to move forward and find what or where the next chapter of our lives will be. However, keep in mind just because your graduating does not mean you need to close the door and can’t look back. Keep in contact with those at UConn who you saw as mentors or that you were close with. There are plenty of ways to stay involved on whatever level you want. Your time here as a student is over but you will always be an alum and can still be active in the UConn world.

Remember: Students today, Huskies FOREVER!

1. Be true to yourself and your goals

Take a moment and reflect on yourself, the first thing you must do is make sure you are being true to yourself. Do not apply for a job you know you would hate just to have a job. Basically do not settle! Step forward with courage and your head held high, the right job will come. Don’t stress. You do not need to find a job ASAP and have your life organized. I don’t.  I am 21, I haven’t even graduated yet. I have time and so do you.

Also, when applying and interviewing for a job you’ll be nervous but listen to your gut. Usually your gut will tell you if this is the right job for you or not. Remember your career goals and ask yourself if you will be happy in the position you’re applying for. Forty hours a week is a lot of time, make sure it will be spent somewhere you will enjoy.

Anna RHSA Grad
Leah Wells (left) and Anna Casale (right) graduating from Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture, May 2014
  1. UConn can do more than just give you a diploma

UConn has an incredible amount of resources on campus to help us find jobs, apply to them, and make connections! Talk to your peers, advisor, professors, or other faculty and staff, make connections! The Center for Career Development is a great place to start because the things they can help you with are endless: find a job you’re interested in, make or correct your resume, write a cover letter, actually apply for a job, and the list goes on, they even provide workshops on a variety of topics.

Look around you, UConn’s current student body is huge and their alumni network is even bigger! Take advantage of the alumni, there is a pretty good chance that one alumni from UConn is in a field or in a job position that you would love. Connect with them, they can and will help you. Use LinkedIn! The Center for Career Development will help you learn how to use the professional media site and will also tell you how to connect with professionals. Not only will they be able to help you, they can share their career story with you, what their goals were and what main struggles they may have encountered getting there. You can use these to help you pursue your goals! The struggles we face today as a soon to be graduate could be very minor compared to those of someone who has been in the working world for a little while. Hearing experiences of others can really help you to not make similar mistakes and to figure out the direction you want to go.