Closing Up An Era

“Enjoy it, your next four years are going to be the best years of your life.”

Gansbaai, Cape Town, South Africa
Gansbaai, Cape Town, South Africa

I’m sure we’re all familiar with that line by now. For some of us, it was one of the main reasons we were so excited to graduate high school and move on to the next step. For others, it was the driving force behind all of those sleepless nights filled with partying and friends.  In my case, for a while every time I heard that line it would only instill a sense of fear of what’s to come after college and everything downhill from there. Luckily, I’ve come to the realization that accepting college as my peak is simply pathetic.

I’m not saying that these college years can’t be your best – far from it actually – all I’m saying is that these have been the best years of my life SO FAR. The memories that I have created at UConn will carry on with me for the rest of my life and even though UConn has given me five amazing years, I can’t wait to see what’s to come. This school has taught me so much, like the fact I’m not a morning person and to not trust anyone who tells you they’re your “best friend” on a Thursday night at Huskies, but most importantly it has taught me who I really am and who I want to become.

College Ambassadors hayride
College Ambassadors hayride

So many people think that as soon as you graduate, life is over. From that moment on it’s only bills, mortgage, and a boring job, but that’s so far from the truth. Life is just beginning. If I were to give any advice to the incoming class it would be to start looking at college as a stepping-stone to your ultimate goal. Whether you want to become a middle school teacher, travel the world, find the cure for every imaginable disease or all of the above, college is just one step in that journey. During your time in college you’ll have the training wheels bolted on your bike, but as soon as you walk that stage with a degree in hand it’ll be time to start pedaling.

Don’t worry; you haven’t hit your peak yet. You’re not even close. You have the rest of your life ahead and it all begins on graduation day. At that point it’ll be time to go. Time to do. Time to pedal.