My visit to the Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine

Ambassador Kelly standing in front of the Universidad Mayor de San Marcos

Over winter break 2017, I visited La Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, faculty of Veterinary Medicine. After 7 years, I got to go back to my home country and visit some places I never got the chance to see before. One of my uncles that knew I was interested in Vet medicine took me to this university and gave me a little tour around.

This University is located in my home country Peru, in the capital of Lima, in the district of San Borja. San Marcos was founded on May 12, 1551, it was the first University founded in the Americas and considered the oldest university in America. The University Mayor de San Marcos has about 28,645 undergraduate students and 3,447 graduate students.

Kelly next to an Alpaca
Kelly next to an Alpaca

The faculty of Veterinary Medicine is one of the 20 faculties this University offers. Other well know faculties are the Faculty of Human Medicine, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Psychology, etc. In Peru, a faculty houses students interested in pursuing a specific field/degree, it’s like our colleges on campus where each one houses students interested in Liberal Arts or Sciences. A faculty is a bit more specific because only students who are interested in a particular field are in that faculty.

Walking around this University gave me the opportunity to see how staff, doctors and students interact with each other. They have veterinarians that work at the University and outside people can bring their pets to be seen which I thought was very interesting. There were also alpacas outside the University campus which I thought was very cool.

Alpacas walking around campus
Alpacas walking around campus

Overall, I had a great experience visiting there in the winter, the weather was great since it was summer back in Peru. I definitely recommend everyone who is interested in pre-professional programs such pre-med, pre-vet, pre-dental to visit Universities like this one whenever they have the chance or whenever they are on vacation in another country.

Source