5 Things to do In Maui, Hawaii

My first dip at Kaanapali Beach!
My first dip at Kaanapali Beach!

With the semester ending in a few weeks, most students (including myself) are looking forward to making summer plans! Ever since I visited Hawaii in 2015 after graduating from high school, I have been planning my next trip to return. If you are planning on venturing out to this beautiful island, here are my Top 5 favorite things to do in Maui, Hawaii!

Road to Hana

The Road to Hana trail takes you around the rural half of the island Maui, where you can stop and venture out to see the natural sights of the island. There are about 30 different sites that you can stop and see, all ranging from different types of scenery. Although this trip is very popular amongst tourist, it is a grueling journey. Traveling by car pretty much all day on a very narrow road, and hiking up hills and swimming through ponds can take a toll on most people.

Kaanapali Beach

My “Snuba” dive!
My “Snuba” dive!

This is one of the most popular beaches in all of Maui! If you like to just relax on the beach with a good book, hit the ocean for the wave, this is the perfect beach for you!

Snorkeling

Snorkeling is a must when you are a visitor in Hawaii. Being able to swim in the warm Pacific waters and see all the marine life is one of a kind! On my snorkeling trip, there was a new method called “Snuba”, which is a hybrid of scuba diving and snorkeling. You are given a respirator attached to an air tank and weights that allow you to sink around 20 feet, and that allows you to be completely submerged in the water. This was such a cool experience, I got to see the marine life in their natural habitat, and even got to see a sea turtle!

Old Lahaina Luau

This is one of the most popular luau’s on the island of Maui. They make authentic Hawaiian cuisine and perform traditional hula dances.

Haleakala Volcano sunrise.
Haleakala Volcano sunrise.

Haleakala Volcano Sunrise

Haleakala volcano is a dormant volcano that is located in the Haleakala National Park in Maui. They offer sunrise tours where you travel to the top of the volcano and watch the sunrise from 10,000 feet above the surface. The views are incredible, but be sure to bundle up because it is cold up there, especially early in the morning!

Although there are more than these 5 things to do in Maui, these are my personal favorite. I also have another favorite to my list, but this is on the island of Oahu.

Pearl Harbor Tour

USS Arizona Memorial
USS Arizona Memorial

Taking a day trip to see the Pearl Harbor base is one of the most memorable parts of my trip to Hawaii. Although tragic things happened at Pearl Harbor, it was beautiful to see where history took place. Viewing the USS Arizona memorial, and getting to board the UUS Missouri were my favorite parts of the trip!