While studying Dietetics at UConn and practicing my skills in a hands on clinical environment, I have learned the importance of nutrition outreach and education to the community. What better community to spread nutrition knowledge to than my fellow Huskies! I hope these tips help you to maintain a healthy weight to prevent chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. Let’s all work towards being Healthy Huskies!
Tips for Dining Out
This includes the dining hall, as it is buffet style!
- Box your leftovers before eating, in order to better portion your meal
- Ask to make exchanges in your meal such as a side of vegetables instead of French fries or dressing on the side
- Plan your meal ahead of time using
- The restaurant’s website
- Survey any buffet style restaurant before getting in line to build your plate
How to Build a Dining Hall Meal
- Plan ahead
- UConn Dining Services Website
- Look for the Smart Check icon on food items
- These items are low in sodium, low in calories from fat, and are more healthful options overall
- Survey the dining hall